Welcome, and thank you for visiting the DC Contact Trace Force’s non-verbal options site.
The DC Department of Health, known as DC Health, is working hard to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. This mission includes ensuring a way to communicate with all DC residents. We are pleased to provide support for the following resources to our Deaf and Hard of Hearing residents as a part of our Contact Tracing activities:
VRI: Live ASL translation via Webex
- To communicate with our Contact Tracers in ASL, we provide video relay interpretation services (VRI). Our Contact Tracers will contact you via text to begin communication. If you provide your email, they will send you an invitation for a Webex Meeting with a live ASL interpreter, to conduct your outreach interview.
- To use Webex for this service: make sure to download Webex Meetings. If you don’t want to install anything, you can join right from your browser. You can join a meeting from your computer, mobile device, phone, or a video system. Click here to watch a video that walks you through how to join a Webex Meeting.
The email from our Contact Tracers will contain an invite with instructions on how to join in an email invitation.
- Open the email invite and click Join Meeting
- Enter your name and email address and click NEXT.
- If you’re asked for a meeting password, you can find it in your email invitation
- Enter the Meeting password and click NEXT.
- In the preview window, you can make sure your video looks good before you join the meeting. First, choose between the audio options:
- Don't connect to audio (use this option when you need to join a meeting and share content, and don't need audio)
- Use computer audio (default) if you do wish to connect audio.
- Start Your Video before you join or start a meeting. You can choose the settings you use for video in the meeting.
This means your video is turned off. Click Start video when you want to show your video.
IP Relay for Phone Calls
- If you have IP Relay, you may use it to communicate with our Contact Trace Force through inbound and outbound calls to +1 202-442-9290.
Non-Verbal Alternative for Public Health Monitoring via Virtual Assistant (DC CovidLINK)
- DC CovidLINK, is an optional service that allows positive cases and notified close contacts the ability to share information about symptoms and health status during periods of isolation or quarantine with the DC Contact Trace Force. Rather than receiving phone calls, you will receive a personalized secure link via text message daily which will need to be accessed on an internet-enabled device.
- During your interview with one of our Contact Tracers, they will offer to enroll you in this service, using your mobile number. You must be 18 years or older to enroll.
DC COVID Alert Notice (DC CAN)
- The DC COVID Alert Notice or DC CAN is the official COVID-19 Exposure Notification Express system for the District of Columbia offered through DC Health. It was developed to assist with contact tracing efforts, operating entirely via notifications on your mobile device anonymously.
- This system works on both Apple and Android devices, please click here to learn more about enabling DC CAN on your phone.