The COVID-19 pandemic has brought overwhelming grief to many District families. Under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
Who can apply for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance?
You may qualify if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who paid for funeral expenses after January 20, 2020, and
- The funeral expenses were for an individual whose death in the United States, territories or the District of Columbia, may have been caused by or was likely the result of COVID-19.
Note: A minor child cannot apply for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance on behalf of an adult who is not a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
How do I apply?
- Individuals must apply directly with FEMA for this program.
- Beginning on April 12, 2021, call FEMA’s COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Line Number, Monday – Friday, between 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- TTY: 800-462-7585
- You will be able to call this dedicated toll-free phone number to get an application completed with help from FEMA's representatives.
- No online applications will be accepted.
- Multilingual services will be available.
What is the deadline to apply for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance?
At this time, there is no deadline to apply for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance. FEMA will communicate a specific deadline once established. WE recommend that our residents begin the application process as soon as they are able to allow for time to complete and submit their documentation.
How funds are received?
If you are eligible for funeral assistance you will receive a check by mail, or funds by direct deposit, depending on which option you choose when you apply for assistance.
Where can I find more information?
How do I get a copy of the death certificate that I will need to submit to FEMA?
Contact DC Health Vital Records Division:
- Main website for vital records: https://dchealth.dc.gov/vital-records
- Birth and Death Certificates - Click to Make an Appointment or call (202) 442-9303 option 1 and then option 9
Additional options to contact:
- Online Certificate Orders - https://dchealth.dc.gov/vital-records
- Phone Certificate Orders - 1-877-572-6332
- Mail Death Certificate Orders - https://www.vitalchek.com/Fax-Phone/DC_Death_Application.pdf
Protect Yourself from Scams and Fraud
FEMA’s Funeral Assistance Program has controls in place to mitigate fraudulent activity. FEMA will not contact anyone until they have called FEMA or have applied for assistance. Do not disclose information such as the name, birth date or social security number of any deceased family member to any unsolicited telephone calls or e-mails from anyone claiming to be a federal employee or from FEMA.
If you doubt a FEMA representative is legitimate, hang up and report it to the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 or the National Center for Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.