Unemployment Benefits

With Mayor Bowser adjusting the District of Columbia’s operating status in response to coronavirus (COVID-19), District residents may file for unemployment compensation. More information on how to file available at Recovery

Recovery | For Individuals

Unemployment Resources

With Mayor Bowser adjusting the District of Columbia’s operating status in response to coronavirus (COVID-19), District residents may file for unemployment compensation at

Getting Started

To begin the process of filing for your unemployment benefits, you will need to have the following information readily available:

  • Your social security number
  • Your most recent 30-day employer’s name, address, phone number and dates of employment
  • Your Alien Registration Number, if you are not a US Citizen
  • Your DD214, if you are ex-military
  • Your Standard Form 8 or Standard Form 50, if you are a former federal employee
  • Severance pay information (only applicable if you did or will receive severance pay)
  • Pension

Please note that confidential unemployment compensation information may be requested and utilized for other governmental purposes, including, but not limited to, verification of eligibility under other government programs. This notice is required by 20 C.F.R. § 603.11 

For more information, visit the Department of Employment Services Unemployment Compensation website.

Family Medical Leave

The one-year employment requirement and 1,000-hour work requirement shall not apply to an employee who has been ordered or recommended to quarantine or isolate due to COVID-19. To learn more, please contact the Office of Human Rights at [email protected] or (202) 727-4559.

Tax Filing Deadline Extension

Mortgage Payment Options for Homeowners

Additional Benefits

We know many District residents are experiencing economic instability as a result of COVID-19. You may be eligible for cash or food assistance, and medical coverage for you and your family during this time. To submit a new application for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or sometimes called Food Stamps), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, Alliance, or other public benefits, please go to