(Washington, DC) – Today, Mayor Bowser is announcing that beginning Tuesday, June 29, people who help unvaccinated friends, family, and neighbors make a plan to get vaccinated and accompany them to a vaccination site can receive a $51 VISA gift card. Through the Take the Shot, DC Vaccine Buddy Program, individuals can redeem up to 11 gift cards (one card per unvaccinated DC resident that they accompany to a vaccination site). To participate in this offer, both people must be at least 18 years old and have a state-issued ID. The three vaccine buddy sites are the same sites hosting the Take the Shot, DC giveaway: the RISE Demonstration Center at St. Elizabeths, Anacostia High School, and Ron Brown High School. The person getting vaccinated will also receive a $51 VISA gift card.
At the Take the Shot, DC giveaway sites, individuals who get their first shot (or only shot, in the case of Johnson & Johnson) and are 18+ can also enter into a drawing to win:
- A new car (one winner each week)
- $10,000 for groceries, to cover approximately a year of free groceries (two winners each week)
- A year of free Metro bus and train (multiple winners each week)
Only people getting vaccinated are eligible to enter the giveaway. Winners will be drawn on the following dates:
- July 6 (individuals who were vaccinated June 19-June 26 are eligible)
- July 13 (individuals who were vaccinated June 19-July 3 and did not win a previous drawing are eligible)
- July 20 (individuals who were vaccinated June 19- July 10 and did not win a previous drawing are eligible)
- July 27 (individuals who were vaccinated June 19- July 17 and did not win a previous drawing are eligible)
More details can be found on taketheshotdc.com.
All DC residents who are 12 and older and get their first (or only) COVID-19 vaccine dose at the three giveaway sites can receive a $51 VISA gift card. Gift cards will be offered through Saturday, July 17. While anyone can get vaccinated at District vaccination sites, the gift cards are only available to District residents who can show proof of residency. Residents between the ages of 12 and 17 must be accompanied by a guardian. Residents will receive the gift card after getting their shot.
A full schedule of the days and hours of the current walk-up sites can be found on coronavirus.dc.gov/vaccinatedc.
The walk-up sites are in addition to the pharmacies, clinics, and health care providers that are also administering the vaccines citywide. Residents can find the closest available vaccination location at vaccines.gov or by texting their zip code to GETVAX (438829) in English, or VACUNA (822862) in Spanish.
The COVID-19 vaccine is free.
Residents who are unable to leave home to get vaccinated can still call 1-855-363-0333 to make an appointment for a free at-home vaccination.
Residents, visitors, and workers are reminded that the safest way to enjoy all DC has to offer is by getting vaccinated.